Help Joe Get a New Pancreas

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Confessions of a Yarn Junkie

Are you a yarn junkie?

Ask yourself these questions:

  1. Do you find it impossible to pass a craft store without stopping in? Do you tell yourself...I will just stop in and see what they have on sale. Then you grab a basket and end up filling it to the brim with yarn before you know it?

  2. Do you go online and yearn for that yarn you don't have? Gazing and dreaming at all those bamboo silks, and alpacas? Then....grab that credit card before you can think twice about it?

  3. Have you run out of space in your yarn bins and organizers and now fill your closets and garages with big bags of the stuff?

  4. Do you now have more yarn than you can possibly use? Could you open up a small yarn store yourself?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then you are just like me....a yarn junkie.

So what are things that I have done to curb this appetite?

  1. I now only go into craft stores if I have to get a particular yarn for a project and absolutely cannot use any of the yarn that I currently possess.

  2. If I am compelled to go on a spree, I also now make sure I am bargain shopping, so that my wallet does not suffer the consequences of my addiction.

Bargain shopping 101:

  1. Most craft stores have online coupons that they post on their websites, or email to you weekly or bi-weekly if you sign up for their newsletters. This definately helps to soothe the wallet so to speak. I now wait for these coupons to be posted online and then I can indulge in my little addiction for 30, 40 or 50% off.
  2. I also like to frequent the local thrift stores. Most of the time you can find amazing deals. I just bought (2) 1 lb cones of Peaches & Creme 100% cotton 4 ply at my local thrift store last week. (1) was unopened and the other...barely used. I got them for .99 a piece! I believe they retail somewhere in the $10 range. Now I have enough baby pink to last me a lifetime....well almost a lifetime.
  3. I will also surf local online classified sites like http://www.craigslist.com/ . On these community sites people will often want to practically give away their scrap yarn. Sometimes people will want to barter as well. Some people will have too much of a color/type of yarn and would like to trade you for what you have an excess of. You can also post a wanted ad on these sites for yarn/supplies that you desire. Some people will give things away for free on occassion!
  4. These community classified sites are also great for locating yard sales in your local area. Yard sales are great for finding yarn on a budget as well. Most people will sell items in large bulk as well, so it is possible to get 2-5 skeins for a bargain price.

To end this post I will share a few pics of my stash. It is a great comfort to me as a crocheter to have a plethora of colors, materials, and weights of yarn in my possession.

...So here is to all the alpacas, acryllics, angoras, bamboo silks, cashmeres, cottons, hemps, mohairs, nylons, polyesters, rayons, wools, and all other yarns of the world.


I am proud to be a Yarn Junkie!









No comments:

Post a Comment